Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Tragic Story & An Electric Atmosphere

As many of you know, I am, have always been, and will always be an Iowa Hawkeye fan. In fact, anyone who has grown up in the state of Iowa is generally a Hawkeye fan, that is, unless they have been brainwashed by the other non-mid-major university in the state (the Cyclones of Iowa State University). I kid you not. My brother Chris grew up learning what is right and good (to always cheer for the Hawkeyes); but then, like Judas Iscariot, he abandoned what he knew to be right and good, crossed over to the dark side, and attended Iowa State University. After his first visit back home from college around Thanksgiving of 1994 during his freshman year, I could tell something had changed within him. After a lot of intense research on my part, I later discovered that Iowa State mandates that every freshman take a class during their first semester titled "BW101: How to Become a Cyclone Fan: Ignoring the Deepest Roots of Your Truest Self." It took me a long time to uncover this as Iowa State does not list the class on any student's transcript. However, I did discover that it is a six-credit class that meets in various anonymous locations in Ames throughout the entire semester. It is a scary ordeal this underground brainwashing class. Hundreds of thousands of innocent young students have already given up hope and have been exposed to this class. This has literally divided my family. I ask that you do not take forceful action as this will only reinforce what this awful class is teaching these young minds (that Hawkeye fans are bad). Rather, I have found it to be best to simply pray over all of these students daily and hope that they will someday see the light again. I know that I am still praying for my brother Chris and now his wife and kids as well as he has passed what he learned in that class on to them.

This past Saturday, Aimee and I attended an Iowa Hawkeye men's basketball game and discovered all over again what is right and good. Iowa has struggled this year with a lot of injuries, and they are a young team. Because tickets were not selling so well this year, we got pretty good seats (row 6) at a great price. Here they are warming up below with the Penn State players warming up at the opposite end.

Pictured below is Iowa's bench with Coach Lickliter (Chris calls him Lintlicker...oh my, pray, pray, pray) standing up in the white shirt talking to one of his assistant coaches.


It was a close game throughout as most of Iowa's games have been this year. It was nice to see Iowa use their big guys, Cole and Tate, in tandem. Pictured below is Fuller and Bawinkel of the Hawkeyes and Cornley and Battle of the Nittany Lions.
The atmosphere at Carver Hawkeye Arena was electric especially towards the end of the game when it went into overtime and then into double overtime. However, as noted on the scoreboard and by the cheerleaders dancing in the picture below, the Hawkeyes won!

Even though we had to get back to Rochester so that I could work a few hours that night, we stayed after the game so that Aimee could shake a few of the players' hands and to get a picture of us.


Chris, if you have read this and if you are feeling things inside that you cannot explain, please give me a call or send me an e-mail. I would love to talk with you to help you discover your true self again and to help you see that you do indeed bleed BLACK AND GOLD!

10 comments:

Meghan Rasmussen said...

It is my understanding that you did the very same thing to Aimee as ISU (I dare not type more than just the initials for fear that I will be struck down by the powerful hand of the Almighty) did to Chris. My poor friend Aimee had her MN roots stripped from right underneath her feet. At least she still bleeds purple and gold.

Anonymous said...

I feel a sickness and a sadness at your comments Eric. While it is true that both Chris and I were raised as Hawkeyes, we have seen the light. We are now more knowledgeable of what is right and good. And we have committed to raising our children in the light:-)

Anonymous said...

Since Eric left me off (this is his oldest brother Brad), I was a Wisconsin Badger fan when we moved to Iowa in 1983. We had lived in Wisconsin for 5 years - many of all our formative years. So I entertained becoming a Cyclone fan since they didn't play Wisconsin ever. (Unfortunately back then Wisconsin never showed up against anyone either - look up their football and basketball records in the 1980's and see just how bad it was.)
But in 1989 we had lived in Iowa for 6 years; so, I naturally saw the light and became a Hawkeye. I could cheer for both Iowa and Iowa State until my brother went to Iowa State and I also had a new uncle who was a diehard Clown (a name for all Clones, aka cyclone fans). They constantly made fun of the Hawkeyes (with little to back up their teams performance) so I became a Cyclone hater. That is the typical story of Hawk fans. We want to like both teams, but the few Clown fans we meet force us to hate ISU.

So at least 2 brothers see the light in this family!

Mr. Hehr said...

Oh I feel so sorry for you Eric. Diluting yourself into thinking Carver was "electric". I suppose electric for Carver means all 4000 people there (that got in for free so they could fill seats) were giving a heart felt golf clap while telling people to sit down. Poor Poor Eric at least they won otherwise there would have been a tirade against the horrible officiating.

Shane M. White said...

Okay, so I got some things to say.

Number One: We, in Indianapolis, REALLY miss Coach Lickliter. We LOVED what he did during his 6 seasons at Butler. He made and molded them the Top 25 Team that they are. I will always be a Steve Alford fan, and was depressed when he left Iowa - but you got a GREAT replacement with Lickliter, and we miss him here.

Next, while it's true that there's not a large number of Iowa basketball players in the NBA - there have been two that have made names for themselves. Bobby Hansen played in Utah from 1983 to 1990 (while my family lived there) and was a member of the 1991-92 NBA Championship Chicago Bulls. Also a member of that Championship team was B.J. Armstrong. While Bobby Hansen never really made a name for himself in the NBA - B.J. Armstrong was very well known, and I enjoy watching my Michael Jordan DVDs and constantly seeing B.J. in scenes.

Now, what's come out of Iowa State? Let me tell you first hand. A loser and pathetic piece of basketball crap known as Jamaal Tinsley. A player who can not get his act together, has been involved in numerous arrests in the city of Indianapolis, and has been banned from returning to Conseco Fieldhouse - a player who is so worthless that we can't even find a team to move him to, and are stuck with him for the rest of the season.

I will give Iowa State credit for producing Jeff Hornacek - who played a long time in Utah. And for Fred Hoiberg, who was originally drafted by the Pacers. While those two players are both good - they were never involved with National Championship winning teams.

Switching over to football, obviously Iowa Football has had a much better impression on Indiana, because of their contributions to the Indianapolis Colts in the forms of Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders. On top of those two amazing players, you've got Ladell Betts and Nate Kaeding - both tops at their positions.

When looking at Iowa State football, you've got Ellis Hobbs, who plays for the Patriots and Sage Rosenfels - who contributed to one of the BEST comebacks in the history of the NFL, when he had three turnovers in less than two minutes, allowing the Colts to score 14 points in the last four minutes of a game to win.

My Grandma Flathers loved all Iowa Sports. She loved Iowa and Iowa State just the same, and supported them both. And I always loved talking sports with her, because in every major sport - she KNEW who came from an Iowa college. And I remember when she told me how sad and disappointed she was in Tinsley - it was funny to hear it coming from such an old woman.

I'd never considered myself an "Iowa State Hater" - but I've also never found myself rooting for them. I father has his fair share of Iowa gear, and with Iowa being in the Big Ten - I've followed them with IU for so long.

I found your story very funny Eric. It was well-thought and crafted. Good job making me laugh so hard today.

I'm sure the Iowa/Iowa State debate is just as bad as the IU/Purdue rivalry here - which means, it's probably a lot of fun to stand your ground for your side!

Anonymous said...

You're right, Eric (tears streaming down my face)! I have left my roots. I haven't felt quite right since. I will repent and go back to my love of the Hawkeyes. You have persuaded me. Thank you for your intervention...I needed that.



I did laugh quite a bit at your post. Very humorous.

Anonymous said...

That last comment was Chris.

Anonymous said...

Apparently, delusions of grandeur run in the family (see Eric, Brad, and Shane. How Chris escaped, I'll never know).
For the record, I said that I had seen the light when I became a Cyclone fan. I never said that they were any good. But I love them anyway. It takes a special heart to love a team that struggles (see any Detroit Lion Fan) instead of just following the team that pulls off a so-so season.

Anthony & Kathie said...

Oh Eric, I feel as though you are being a tad dramatic in this all. I am glad that Beth forwarded your e-mail along so that I could also have my say in this. First, I would just like to say that I am glad you got your tickets for a good price, because I wouldn't want you to waste to much of your money. Luckily, I have only been to Iowa's campus twice. Once, was for part of a 5th grade field trip--they made me go!! The second was for a college visit, which I scheduled on senior skip day, so that I could skip, but not get into trouble. After visiting the campus this time, I then realized that I would truly be making a HUGE mistake and bowed out of my visit early to do a little shopping. I just couldn't attend that college and feel right about it. I could go on about my feelings about the Hawkeyes, but I have to go to church to teach pre-k and I will also pray the God will show you the error of your ways!!

Unknown said...

Man...this is a popular blog for you...I am going to leave it with GO BADGERS!!